Skip to Content

Deputy Commissioner for a Day Program

The Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk has a program that allows individuals to be deputized for a day to perform a wedding ceremony.

How to Apply

To complete the Deputy Commissioner for a Day Application, click the 'Get Started' link below.

Mail the application to the address below with a check or money order for $75, made payable to Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk (RR/CC), two months prior to the ceremony.

Note: We do not accept temporary checks or foreign checks (with the exception of Canada and Mexico) for any Recorder/County Clerk services. If a temporary or foreign check is received, the request will be rejected and sent back to the submitter requesting a new method of payment.

Applications submitted less than one month prior to the ceremony date must include a $13 expediting fee.

Mail the application to:

Deputy Commissioner For A Day

Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk

P.O. Box 389

Norwalk, CA 90651-0389

What Happens After Approval

Once the request and fee are received and processed, you will be contacted to schedule an appointment to be deputized. Individuals are deputized on Thursdays, in a virtual class by appointment ONLY. No appointments will be scheduled until the application and fee have been processed.

For emergency situations, if an applicant is unable to attend the class on a Thursday, a Special Accommodation may be made depending on staff availability. The fee for a Special Accommodation is $13.

What to Expect When You Are Being Deputized

In order to be deputized, you must:

  1. Attend a virtual class. The virtual class starts at 10 AM and it takes approximately one hour to complete the process.
  2. Present valid photo identification.
  3. Have a phone, tablet or computer that allows audio and visual capabilities. You will need to turn on your camera during class.
  4. Take an oath, sign and return the form for approval.

The fee is non-refundable. In the event the officiant does not get deputized, the payment can be applied to another deputy appointment within the same calendar year.

Please Complete the Application Below



The person I want to officiate my ceremony is not a resident of Los Angeles County. Is the person eligible to participate in the program?

Yes, as long as the person has a valid government issued picture ID, such as a Driver’s License or passport.

My ceremony is taking place in another state. May I use the Deputy Commissioner for a Day program?

No. The Deputy Commissioner for a Day program is only valid in California.

My application may not make it to your office in time for my ceremony, what are my options?

Please contact our office at (562) 462-2082, to request approval to overnight your application. If your application is accepted, you will need to include an additional $13 to expedite the process.

The person I want to officiate my ceremony lives out of town and will not arrive until the day before my ceremony, what are my options?

Please contact our office to request a Special Accommodation. Depending on staff availability your application may be accepted and must include an additional $13 for the Special Accommodation fee. Special Accommodations are done Monday through Friday only.

I am an ordained minister. Do I need to register with your office?

No, this department does not maintain a registry of ordained ministers.

How soon should I submit my application?

Submitting your application two months prior to the ceremony date is a sufficient amount of time. Your application will be returned if submitted too far in advance.

Can I be deputized in one of your district offices?

No. Deputization is coordinated by the RR/CC headquarters office in Norwalk.

Icon - Close