Skip to Content

Who Can Obtain Marriage Records

There are two types of marriage records:

  • Public Marriage Record
  • Confidential Marriage Record

Confidential Marriage Records

Copies of confidential marriage licenses may only be obtained by the parties to the marriage or by court order.

Informational Certified Copies are not issued for Confidential Marriage Records.

Public Marriage Record

An Authorized Certified Copy of a public marriage record is required to change your name on a driver's license, passport, social security card and other services related to an individual's identity.

Individuals permitted to receive a Public Marriage Record:

  • One of the parties to the marriage or a parent or legal guardian of one of the parties
  • A member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental agency, as provided by law, who is conducting official business
  • A child, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse or domestic partner of one of the parties to the marriage
  • An attorney representing one of the parties to the marriage or the party's estate, or any person or agency empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on behalf of one of the parties to the marriage or the party's estate

Marriage Record Request Options

Informational Copies

Those who are not authorized or do not wish to submit the notarized Certificate of Identity may receive an Informational Certified Copy.

Informational Certified Copies have the words "INFORMATIONAL, NOT A VALID DOCUMENT TO ESTABLISH IDENTITY" imprinted across the face of the copy.

Icon - Close