Skip to Content

Corporation/Partnership Legal Document Assistant

Legal Document Assistant registration is required for those who, for compensation, assist the public in filing legal papers for any self-help service for members of the public who are representing themselves in a legal matter. Legal Document Assistant registration is required in each county where the services are performed.

How to Apply

Designated kiosks will be available in our Norwalk Headquarters to complete your application. You can also fill out and print the Corporation or Partnership Registration as a Legal Document Assistant application and bring it with you to your appointment. You must make an appointment before you arrive.

Make an Appointment

Legal Document Assistant registration appointments can be scheduled up to three (3) weeks in advance.

Book On MyTime


The registrant must appear in person and meet the following requirements:

  • Corporate officers/general partners must possess a valid, government-issued picture identification (such as a driver's license or passport)
  • Present a bond in the amount of $25,000 naming the registrant as principal providing the term of the bond, two (2) years, commencement date and expiration date
  • One of the corporate officers or one of the general partners must meet the education and experience requirements as listed on the application for Legal Documents Assistant and provide supporting educational documentation as required pursuant to Business and Professions Code § 6400, 6402 & 6408

Search for a Certificate of Registration by Mail

If a search reveals the existence of a registration, a certified copy is $2 per document.

All search requests must include the following information:

  1. Legal Document Assistant name
  2. Non-refundable search fee of $5 per name
  3. Stamped, self-addressed return envelope

Fees can be paid by check or money order.

Make payable to the Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk and mail to:

Business Filings and Registration

P.O. Box 1208

Norwalk, CA 90651-1208

We do not accept:

  • E-Checks
  • Temporary checks
  • Foreign checks (with the exception of Canada and Mexico) 

If an E-Check, temporary or foreign check is received, the request will be rejected and sent back to the submitter requesting a new method of payment.

District offices do not process mail requests.


An identification card will be issued at the time of registration. No photo will be taken.

Corporate/Partnership Legal Document Assistant Registration Fees

Service Fee

Corporate/Partnership Legal Document Assistant Registration

(includes recording/filing fee of a single-sided, single-page bond but may vary)

Each additional page of the bond $3
Replacement identification card $10
Icon - Close