Skip to Content

Register to Vote

American Flag

As a military or overseas voter, you will experience the same voter registration process as other residents in L.A. County. However, you have more options for submitting the application.

Are You an Eligible Military & Overseas Voter?

You must be one of the following:

  • A member of the active or reserve of the armed forces of the United States
  • A spouse or dependent of a person in the armed forces
  • A U.S. citizen living outside of the territorial limits of the U.S. or D.C.

(All applicants with Military & Overseas Voter Status must meet voter registration requirements.)

Under the Federal UOCAVA Act of 1986, military/uniformed service members and United States citizens living outside the territorial limits of the United States or the District of Columbia for reasons of employment, study programs or military service (including the spouse or dependents of one serving in the military) are eligible to register to vote and request a Vote by Mail (absentee) ballot. This act is administered by the Federal Voting Assistance Program.

How to Register to Vote

For more information, call (800) 815-2666 Option 2.

Re-register to Vote

Re-register when you:

  • Change address
  • Change name
  • Change political party

If you have been discharged from the military or are not living outside of the territorial limits of the United States or D.C., you should re-register to vote using a regular application in your home state.

Icon - Close