Skip to Content


Records FAQs

I was married in another country; do I need to register the marriage here?

No, you do not need to register the certificate with this office. Your marriage will be accepted in this county and state. A certified marriage certificate copy can be presented as evidence of the marriage.

How do I get a letter regarding single status?

The Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk does not provide Single Status Letters or Certificates of Search confirming that an individual has not been married. Please refer to the requirements of the country in which you are getting married. If you require further assistance, please inquire with: U.S. DEPARTMENT of STATE — BUREAU of CONSULAR AFFAIRS

Where can I obtain a copy of my legal name change?

Legal name changes are under the jurisdiction of the Los Angeles County Superior Court. Please contact the Court at (213) 830-0803 for assistance in this matter. You may also visit The Los Angeles Superior Court Website.

How can I get a Certificate of Identity for other states or countries?

Please have the notary strike out California and put the State or Country in which the form is notarized. The form will be accepted with the change.

Where can I get a copy of my divorce decree?

The Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk does NOT record or house divorce records or information.

Record information for divorce filings is available at the Los Angeles Superior Court where the divorce was filed. If the Superior Court location is not known, information can be obtained at the County Courthouse by calling at (213) 830-0803 or going to 111 North Hill St., Los Angeles, CA, 90012.

Divorce filings that took place within the Central Los Angeles area are transferred to the County Record Center (Archives) normally within two to three years of the filing.

Icon - Close