Skip to Content

Affidavit of Death of Joint Tenant/Trustee

Submitting an Affidavit

At the time of recording, present the completed affidavit (see below), a certified copy of the death certificate and a Preliminary Change of Ownership Report, which is also available at RR/CC offices in Norwalk, Lancaster, LAX Courthouse and Van Nuys, as well as the County Assessor's offices. The Preliminary Change of Ownership Report is not needed for Death of Beneficiary under Deed of Trust.

Terminating Joint Tenancy

If parties hold title as joint tenants and one is deceased, the survivor may file an Affidavit of Death of Joint Tenant. It may be advisable to consult an attorney due to the legal aspects involving a change in ownership of real property.

The above forms can be purchased at most office supply or stationery stores.

Icon - Close